Another seasonal favourite of mine is Peanut Butter Balls. Just like the peanut butter connoisseur I am, I could not pass up the opportunity to whip up a batch of these delectable homemade treats! This recipe is easy and perfect for the Christmas season. I found this recipe from http://www.tasteofhome.com but decided to switch things up and add a little bit of coconut to each ball to give it a little more oomph!
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 cups crisp rice cereal
- 4 cups (24 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon shortening, divided
- preferred amount of unsweetened coconut
Directions: MAKES: 72 servings
- In a large bowl, beat peanut butter and butter until blended; gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Stir in cereal. Shape into 1-in. balls. Refrigerate until chilled.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and 1/4 cup shortening; stir until smooth. Dip balls into chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on a waxed paper-lined pan. Let stand until set.
- cover tops of candies with unsweetened coconut. Refrigerate until set. Yield: 6 dozen.