Another seasonal favourite of mine is Peanut Butter Balls. Just like the peanut butter connoisseur I am, I could not pass up the opportunity to whip up a batch of these delectable homemade treats! This recipe is easy and perfect for the Christmas season. I found this recipe from http://www.tasteofhome.com but decided to switch things up and add a little bit of coconut to each ball to give it a little more oomph!
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 cups crisp rice cereal
- 4 cups (24 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon shortening, divided
- preferred amount of unsweetened coconut
- In a large bowl, beat peanut butter and butter until blended; gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Stir in cereal. Shape into 1-in. balls. Refrigerate until chilled.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and 1/4 cup shortening; stir until smooth. Dip balls into chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on a waxed paper-lined pan. Let stand until set.
- cover tops of candies with unsweetened coconut. Refrigerate until set. Yield: 6 dozen.
It is that time of the year again. The time where all you want to do is stay inside, cozy up with your loved ones and indulge in a bottomless pit of comfort foods and holiday junk. Sure, you may gain a few extra pounds in the process but I say to heck with it, stuff your face and enjoy!
Ever since I was a child one of my favourite seasonal treats has always been Shortbread Cookies! Baking up these bad boys have been a longtime tradition in my household, so this year I could not pass up the opportunity to continue it on my own. I found the perfect recipe on one of my favourite go-to websites for great recipes http://www.allrecipes.com. These Shortbread’s are named Tina’s Shortbread Chocolate Chip Cookies. They are super easy to make, taste absolutely perfecto and just melt in your mouth! Make these for any Christmas/Holiday party and you and your guest will not be disappointed.
Original recipe makes 2 dozen
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt, set aside. In a medium bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients, then stir in the walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Roll or scoop dough into walnut sized balls. Place them on unprepared cookie sheets 1 1/2 inches apart. Flatten cookies slightly. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until light golden brown. Remove from sheets to cool on racks.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!